The Structure and The Fire

The first meeting house was a “Bush Harbor”, the Second, a frame structure, built on the “California Style” and the third was also a frame structure, but built more with a modern style with a seating capacity between twelve and fifteen hundred. This structure was built some time during the pastorate of Rev. J.H. Welch, and completed about the year 1890, with a seating capacity of about fifteen hundred. Unfortunately, this beautiful structure was destroyed by fire on May 3, 1901. Later, a tent was erected where the former parsonage stood (next to the church) for members to worship and wait for the laying of the foundation for the present Mt. Zion. The members began the big job of raising money to rebuild the structure.