Our Location

The Society sent a petition by Major Johnson to the Annual Conference of Georgia, which met in Savannah, for a pastor. Charles Pierce was Presiding Elder of Florida. This Society was then properly organized as Mt. Zion A.M.E. Church on July 28, 1866, thus taking formal charge of the property. This land was one hundred five square feet of property on the northeast corner of Beaver and Newnan Streets. This was acquired before the emancipation. The membership at this time was between seventy-five and one hundred. Several of these had been members of the Methodist Church South (White), by whom they were encouraged and given both financial and spiritual assistance.